What types of things does Richard Hunger for?
Well, One obvious thing he hungers for is from hunger itself. Food. He is very deprived of it, and when his mother doesn't even have a job they barely have enough money to have enough food to survive. Richard also hungers for knowledge. He is an active reader and has a gigantice curiosity.
Are these things positive?
Yes, they are. Hmm... its negative to hunger for food... thats an obvious one. Ofcourse its a positive thing, one cannot survive without food. Now the second hunger... knowledge. How would you like it if everytime you asked a simple question, maybe why? and then you get slapped in the face by your parents, or in Richard's case usually his Granny. This is an outrage, not to be allowed the simple knowledge of why, because it is desobediant to ask it. I even experience this sometimes in my house from my mother. This topic can really get me going and angry so I'll try to keep calm. Here is an example, ""Get on your hat and coat," Granny said. "What do you want me to do?" I asked. "Quit asking questions and do what you are told" (142). TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT HIM TO DO!!!! Jeez, why is it such a big deal to not tell him? Here's another example where Richard voices his opinion, "I piped up and had my say... Granny said, "Shut up, you!" and leaned forward promptly to chastise me with one of her casual, back-handed slaps on my mouth" (134). In his parents' and grandparents' minds he is being a bad boy and talking back. To me, and hopefully other normal people he is being good or positive and just hungering for curiosity and knowledge. And what does he get for this? Nearly back slapped in the face. Good thing he dodged and the evil Granny hurt herself by trying to hit an innocent curious boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I agree with the main ideas of you post Ross, although I don't think that Granny is truly "evil." She just has completely different ideas of what Richard should know.
(P.S. - You're just like me! Two posts in a row!)
Your voice really came through in this post. I think that his curiousity and desire to know "why" is a very good thought. This drives Richard through the book, and is a very significant theme.
This post was really funny becuase of your personal opinions that were added! Do you think that Granny and the other adults who abuse Richard won't tell him how he misbehaves because they do not have a viable explanation and they are just abusing him becauses they feel thretened by his passionate curriosity?
I believe that they won't tell him because it is against their "law" and religion. And since their very conservative thats probably another reason why.
Post a Comment