Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Maan + Stereotypes

Since this was a comedy... there were definitely stereotypes involved. However, I believe the general theme of the play, also since it is a comedy is to let things go, not to judge people maybe just a few laughs here and there (for example at Dogberry). One of the stereotypes I believe is against females. Back in this time period there was a huge stereotype against women, in that they were just meant to be wives and not educated thinkers, scientists, mathematicians etc. However in this play, besides the fact that the women actually don't do much, Shakespeare shows that people shouldn't be judged drastically.

Another stereotype that is commonly expressed in good humor is class/intelligence. Dogberry for example is an extremely dumb person and is not exactly in a high class position either. There are definitely stereotypes against him, from Leonato and others but they just laugh it off which expresses Shakespeare's theme of "doesn't matter." Also you don't see lower class people besides Dogberry talk to much, as if they shouldn't. Overall Shakespeare meant to tell people not to judge people in a bad way, only a humorous way if any way.

3 comments:

Charlotte L said...

Ha, that's a good point that stereotypes were involved to poke fun at people. I didn't really think before about class stereotypes, but they definitely were there. Dogberry wasn't only made fun of for his class though; his brainpower was pretty easy to make fun of too

Stephanie said...

Ross: I agree with you that this play is about letting things go and not judging people so quickly. I also said that there were many sterotypes involving females. I like how you mentioned Dogberry a few times. He definitely added to the comedy side of the play. Good analysis!

Falindrith Lanthaloran said...

I like how you link the stereotypes in the play to the general theme of the play. I would agree with that analysis too, but I don't quite understand how women not dong much in the play supports the point that the stereotype is just for comedy.