Overall Richard is not a bad boy. I believe one reason he is not a bad boy is because he has grown up in a very abusive enviroment which makes him very fearful of his parents and will disobey them if they ask him to come to him (usually for a beating). Another reason he is not a bad boy, is because of his lack of education. He is very questioning and since his parents never taught him much of anything he will get in trouble for asking bad questions or saying naughty words that he does not even know what they mean.
Well.. Richard does act a bit weird like who would purposly set a curtain on fire, it seems like an incredibly stupid thing for someone to do to me, but then again Richard has grown up in a harsh enviroment. I think in Richard's case the enviroment is to blame, however there are times where the person is to blame also. I think if one is grown up in an overall good enviroment they are 100% to blame for their behavior, period, end of discussion. Its your fault for things you do if you don't have something that Richard is going through.
The enviroment on the other hand is to blame in Richard's case. One sign that the behavior of a kid should be blamed on the enviroment is beating. Obviously the kid is going to be terrified whenever he does something bad or maybe he does something bad and he doesn't even know it and he gets whipped, and this is why he might become mean and bullying when he is older, or rebellious. Another sign that behavior is caused by the enviroment is socially. If the school someone goes to doesn't moniter what they do, and lets them learn bad words and bad actions the enviroment is to blame.
Richard isn't to blame!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I agree with you Ross. But I would also argue that even in a good environment, the environment can have an effect. For example, what if in that environment there was something taught that would be considered "bad" in another environment. So does that mean that there is no "bad" or "good?"
Man that was deep. :)
Hi Ross,
Yes, I agree with your stance. Do you think that he will continue being a "bad boy" even after he starts becoming educated? For instance, Richard started reading books (gasp!) but ended up insulting his grandmother. Overall thsi is a really good essay, very detailed and has plenty of evidence. Awesome!
Shara
Hi there!
I as well agree with you. I agree with most of the points you made about Richard not being a bad boy. Points like growing up in an abusive environment and lack of education are very strong supporting details. However, I think it is still too early in Richard's life to really judge if he is a bad or good person. He hasn't experianced enough different situations for an outsider to make a certain judgement.
Okay. Good job! Bye.
~Claire
Hola! You make a good argument, but I have a question. Why would beating encourage him to set the curtains on fire, or any of the other various wrongs he did? If anything they would make it more likely for him to be cautious around potential problems. Just a thought.
Ya, I'll admit the curtains were a bit random, but then again being abused constantly the way Richard is might produce some rash actions.
Post a Comment